Gonorrhea Treatment in North Hollywood, CA
Developing as a result of an infection from a bacteria known as Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Gonorrhea is a very common sexually transmitted disease (STD) . The CDC estimates that about 750,000 new cases of gonorrhea are diagnosed each year, half of which are untreated. This makes gonorrhea, also known as “the clap” or “the drip,” a very serious and prevalent sexual disease.
Symptoms of gonorrhea have a typical onset between two and ten days after initial exposure for both men and women. As for gonorrhea symptoms in women, the infection typically presents asymptomatically. However, for those who do develop symptoms, they can be severe. These include:
- Green, yellow, white or brown penile or vaginal discharge
- Pelvic pain
- Painful urination (dysuria)
- Spotting between periods and after intercourse
- Burning in the throat as a result of oral sex
- Swollen testicles or vulva
- Increased sensation or needing to urinate
- Painful sex
- Swollen glands near the throat
If left untreated, however, gonorrhea can advance and leave some lasting health issues:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Eventual infertility
- Epididymitis (swelling/inflammation of the epididymis)
- Prostate issues
- Urethral scarring
- Blood and joint infection
- Cardiovascular problems
- Increase the risk of contracting other STDs including HIV and AIDS
- Severe birth issues for those who are pregnant
Diagnosis and treatment of gonorrhea are relatively straight forward. A physical exam , blood test and usually a culture grown from mouth, penis, vagina and anal swabs will be used to determine if you have the infection.
Treatment is very simple; most antibiotics can take care of gonorrhea. However, some antibiotic-resistant strains have been found; this can be a result of passing the infection back and forth between your partners. Early detection and treatment are essential. Treatment for any of the secondary conditions like pelvic inflammatory disease, prostate issues, urethral scarring, and several others will need additional—and in some cases—extensive treatment to control.
If you have any of the above-mentioned symptoms, stop by your nearest doctor and get tested and treated if required.
Request more information about gonorrhea treatment today. Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm