Pre-Operative Evaluations in North Wilkesboro, NC
Before you have surgery, it is important for your medical team to gather specific information about your health through a pre-operative evaluation. This can help them team identify any potential problems that could cause complications before, during, or after surgery. The type of evaluation you need depends on the kind of surgery you are having, but there are a few common components for all patients.
Pre-operative evaluations are not meant to authorize you for surgery, but to identify any potential complications that could arise and then treat them. An evaluation is completed several weeks before your surgery so your doctor has time to plan any preventive treatments like prescribing antibiotics for an infection, or speak with other doctors who may be participating in your surgery.
Find out more about pre-operative evaluations. Call (423) 482-8711 or you may also contact Dr. Dalal Akoury online.
What are the Components of a Pre-Operative Evaluation?
Your medical team will take notes on your history based on what you share with them and may perform his or her own tests including:
- A physical examination of your body, including your heart and lung health
- Your experience with anesthesia in the past
- A history of any infections or current infections you may have
- Your medication history and any drug allergies
- An evaluation of how well you move, walk and perform tasks independently
- Evaluation of your nutritional status with blood work and physical exam
- Blood work to monitor current diseases or overall health status
- Cardiac stress tests or echocardiogram (EKG) for patients with a history of heart problems
- Medications to improve lung function for patients with lung disease
Get the Most from Your Pre-Operative Evaluation
Pre-operative evaluations help you and your family prepare for the many phases of surgery—before, during, and after. Most hospitals have entire teams of trained medical staff who will oversee your pre-operative evaluation including any extra tests you may need. Take this time to learn as much as you can about your surgery and how you will feel afterward. Ask your medical team about healing, possible side effects and any rehabilitation you may need.
When you are preparing for surgery, it can be helpful to bring along a trusted friend or family member who will help you listen to the medical team's instructions. You may also find it helpful to bring along a notebook or recorder to document what is said so you can listen to it later.
Learn more about Pre-Operative Evaluations
Would you like to learn more about pre-operative evaluations? Get the most from your surgical experience. Call today at (423) 482-8711 or contact Dr. Dalal Akoury online.
AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center
Address1604 Lamons Lane
Johnson City, TN 37604
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm