Anemia Treatment in Spring Hill, FL
We all have those days where we feel sluggish, in a fog and generally “out of it.” Once in while this feeling is normal, however when these days turn into weeks, months or years, something may be wrong, and it could be serious. Anemia may be the cause.
What is Anemia?
Anemia can be a very serious condition. When you’re anemic, red blood cells (RBCs) in your body can’t carry enough oxygen to your tissues. This can be caused by a number of issues, one of which—known as sickle cell anemia—can affect hemoglobin, an iron-rich molecule that sits atop your RBCs. Hemoglobin’s main job is to hold onto oxygen molecules, transporting them around your body, supporting the various functions of organ systems and cell life. This is one specific case. However, the four main types of anemia include:
- Anemia due to chronic disease: HIV/AIDS, kidney failure, Crohn's disease , rheumatoid-arthritis, and several other chronic conditions can present with anemia as a symptom.
- Aplastic anemia: Anemia due to a disease in bone marrow. This is serious as marrow is the production center of your blood.
- Hemolytic anemia: Destruction of red blood cells is the calling card of hemolytic anemia. With fewer blood cells, less oxygen is transported, and with less oxygen comes anemia.
- Sickle cell anemia: A condition that results in misshapen RBCs. This elongated malformation of blood cells inhibits the ability of hemoglobin to carry needed oxygen.
Despite presenting in numerous forms, anemia has several defining symptoms common to nearly all types, these include:
- Fatigue /general weakness
- Arrhythmia (uneven heartbeat)
- Tachycardia (fast heart rate)
- Trouble breathing
- Cold extremities (hands/feet)
- Pale skin
- Chest pain
If left untreated, anemia can even result in death. It’s far more than just exhaustion and fatigue, anemia places considerable strain on your body, asking it to perform as normal with limited quantities of what it needs most, oxygen. It’s like asking your car to run low on oil; it’s only a matter of time before things seize up.
What Causes Anemia?
Feeling anemic is never fun. In fact, it can be downright dangerous, and in some cases, life-threatening. There are some conditions that can generate anemia. A poor diet, especially those leading up to an iron deficiency, low B12 and low folate levels is among the most common causes of anemia. Other causes may include:
- Severe bleeding
- Chronic conditions like those listed above
- Autoimmune conditions
- Blood disease
- Heavy metal toxicity
Anemia can be tricky; some people may present with a full range of serious symptoms while others may not show a single one. It depends on the case and the person, after all, no two people are alike.
How is Anemia Treated?
Treatment options can vary. The first step to treatment is always a diagnosis, however. To diagnose anemia, a physical exam, detailed medical history and blood test (CBC) will likely be performed.
Once the source of your anemia has been confirmed, treatment can begin. Anything from a simple diet modification and vitamin supplements to blood transfusions, marrow transplants and chemotherapy may be required. It all depends on what underlying cause of anemia is running rampant in your system.
If you’ve been feeling sluggish, under the weather and have been for some time, it might be time to speak with a healthcare provider. Anemia is a real condition that requires real medical attention. Seek help today.
Request more information on Anemia Treatment today. Call (727) 240-3424 or contact Maharajh Acupuncture & Herb Shoppe online.
Maharajh Acupuncture & Herb Shoppe
Address5805 Main St
New Port Richey, FL 34652
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm