Osteopenia Treatment in Studio City, CA
Osteopenia is the sister illness of osteoporosis . Characterized by a loss in bone density and an increased risk of fracture, osteopenia is typically the precursor of osteoporosis. Resulting from a wide variety of causes, from genetics to bad habits, the best course of action—as is the case with many conditions—is preventive measures.
Who is most at risk?
Despite the common assumption that osteopenia and osteoporosis are exclusively women’s diseases, men can be affected as well. However those at most risk are:
- Women (Caucasian, Asian, over the age of 65)
- Those undergoing chemotherapy
- Radiation exposure
- Eating disorders where severe malnutrition persist
- Postmenopausal women
- People with a low level physical activity
- People with rheumatoid arthritis
- Those who drink alcohol in excess
- Those who are thin
- People with a family history
- Steroid use (long term)
- Calcium/Vitamin D deficency
In many cases osteopenia is asymptomatic. In fact, it can be present for years prior to an official diagnosis. There usually is no pain associated with the condition, unless a bone is fractured. Even then, some hairlines fractures remain undiscovered because they have no associated pain. That said, routine testing is one of the best ways to catch osteopenia early.
There are a number of special tests developed to identity bone mineral density and detect density loss.
- DXA scan (previously called a dexa scan): This is a special highly sensitive X-ray known as a duel-energy x-ray absorptiometry scan. A DXA scan is a bone test to determine bone mineral density.
- QCT: This is a qualitative computerized tomography scan, a visual inspection tool.
- QUS: Qualitative ultrasound densitometry, a bone density test from an ultrasound.
Osteopenia usually responds to vitamin supplements like calcium and vitamin D. But strength building exercises including weight lifting have been shown affective in controlling osteopenia as well. Some specific medications are available too.
If you have a family history of weak or brittle bones, have had numerous fractures and are a female over the age of 65, now is a great time to get a bone mineral density test. Discovering osteopenia today could prevent osteoporosis later on.
Request more information about Osteopenia Treatment today. Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Areas We Service:Studio City, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Burbank, CA, Encino, CA, Glendale, CA, Los Angeles, CA, North Hollywood, CA, San Fernando, CA, Santa Monica, CA, Tarzana, CA, Toluca Lake, CA, Valley Village, CA, Van Nuys, CA, West Hollywood, CA