Primary Immunodeficiency Treatment in Tarzana, CA
Primary Immunodeficiency (PI) is a blanket term covering a wide variety of immune system and autoimmune conditions. These are conditions that affect the ability of your immune system to defend your body against viral attack, leading to increased illnesses, infections and a host of other issues.
Common Illnesses Associated with a Compromised Immune System
- Upper respiratory infections, like bronchitis , sinus and ear infections and bacterial infections such as pneumonia.
- Issues with internal organs like the liver and kidneys, presenting with inflammation or complete organ failure in severe instances.
- Blood, digestive and growth disorders have been reported as well.
- Diabetes (Type 1)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Apart from these secondary conditions, primary immunodeficiency is comprised of over 200 autoimmune conditions. Most of these primary conditions are chronic (lifelong) leaving you more susceptible to contracting illnesses like those listed above, including diabetes and even HIV.
Just a few of these primary conditions include:
- DiGeorge Syndrome
- Severe Combined Immunodeficiency
- Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome
- Cyclic neutropenia
- Chronic granulomatous disease
- C3, C5, C7, C8 deficiency
- Common variable immunodeficiency (CVID)
- IgA deficiency
- Leukocyte defects (adhesion)
How is Primary Immunodeficiency Diagnosed?
Most of us have all gotten sick at some point, but those with PI can expect a few things, it's these trends that may help you identify a problem and when to see your doctor about PI:
- You have severe infections that usually end up in a stay at the hospital with an IV.
- Long lasting infections that seem to linger longer in you than most people.
- Uncommon causes to your infections. Are you getting sick by things others simply fight off?
- Do your infections keep coming back?
- Does your family have a history of infection?
If you experience any of these check with your doctor about the possibility of an immune deficiency disease.
One of the defining characteristics of many immune disorders is the inability to produce immunoglobulins, more commonly known as antibodies. These are your body's cellular-warriors who fight off infection. With a weak front line of defense the “enemy” invades and you get sick.
The answer is known as Immunoglobulin Therapy. For conditions like CVID, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome, IgA deficiency, this replacement therapy supplements your antibodies with a purified batch; think of them as reinforcements in the battle against infection.
These antibodies are either injected subcutaneously (under the skin) known as SCIG or via an IV drip known as IVIG. Patients will need to repeat these treatments for the duration of their lifetime to see continued results, sometimes weekly or even every other day.
Your healthcare provider can recommend a course of treatment that best fits your needs.
Request more information from a trained specialist about Primary Immunodeficiency (PI) today. Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Areas We Service:Studio City, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Burbank, CA, Encino, CA, Glendale, CA, Los Angeles, CA, North Hollywood, CA, San Fernando, CA, Santa Monica, CA, Tarzana, CA, Toluca Lake, CA, Valley Village, CA, Van Nuys, CA, West Hollywood, CA