Multiple Sclerosis Treatment Toluca Lake, CA
Multiple Sclerosis or MS is a condition effecting the central nervous system (CNS), specifically the demyelination of the nerve fibers (damage to the protective coating surrounding our nerves). This nerve damage results in one of the defining symptoms commonly associated with MS, walking difficulties (gait issues), and poor/ unusual posture, in many cases requiring the use of walking aids.
However, what many don't know, is that MS can present in a wide variety and combination of symptoms, making each patient's experience with this debilitating illness unique and that much harder to diagnose and treat.
Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
The most common symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis include:
- Fatigue that worsens as the day progresses and –in many cases- impairs daily life/ tasks. Even brushing your teeth becomes an energy expending task.
- Spasticity: localized feelings of stiffness in joints, arms, shoulders and legs.
- Numbness; this is said to be one of the most common symptoms of MS and often the first reported by those who suffer from this condition. The severity can range from mild to severe, even effecting the face and mouth making eating difficult and dangerous.
- Weakness can result from the limited ability to move. The less you move, the less you use your muscles and those muscles deteriorate over time.
- Vision problems ranging from double vision and uncontrolled eye movements, to blurred vision and even blindness.
- Dizziness and—to a lesser extent—even full-blown vertigo can emerge as a symptoms.
- Bladder, bowel and sexual problems are often reported. Occurring in about 80% of sufferers, the inability to control ones bladder is a common symptom. Constipation and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) are frequently reported as well. Sexual problems have been reported in over 60% of MS sufferers, diminished physical arousal being the most common.
- Emotional and cognitive changes. Chronic depression is frequently reported, as are mood swings, irritability, and pseudobulbar affect (uncontrolled laughing/ crying). Some suggest these are a result of the overwhelming stress of living with the condition, while others suggest that the neurological changes resulting from MS itself are to blame.
- Pain; both Chronic (long term) and Acute (short-term, severe) pain have been reported in as much as half of all people who suffer from MS.
- Lesser common symptoms include: speech problems, swallowing problems, tremor, seizures, breathing problems, itching, headache, and hearing loss.
Multiple Sclerosis Treatment
Sadly there is no cure for multiple sclerosis, but the condition is manageable. Some suggest an interdisciplinary approach with a combination of medications and physical therapy to manage MS. Multiple sclerosis requires ongoing treatment as the condition changes and evolves in each patient. With a qualified team, those who suffer from this debilitating condition can lead productive, full lives.
Request more information about Multiple Sclerosis today. Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Areas We Service:Studio City, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Burbank, CA, Encino, CA, Glendale, CA, Los Angeles, CA, North Hollywood, CA, San Fernando, CA, Santa Monica, CA, Tarzana, CA, Toluca Lake, CA, Valley Village, CA, Van Nuys, CA, West Hollywood, CA